A man and woman are safe after escaping a house fire caused by a propane tank explosion in Licking County Wednesday morning, just outside of Newark.
The Madison Township Fire Department said the call for a report of multiple explosions in the 3800 block of Pleasant Chapel Road Southeast.
When firefighters arrived, the house was on fire and it was too dangerous for them to go inside. Investigators determined a large propane tank used for heating exploded behind the home, the fire department said.
A man and woman who were inside the home at the time were able to make it out safely.
The explosion led to a few windows shattering in nearby homes.
The Madison Township Fire Chief said a Licking County sheriff's office deputy at a gas station three miles away from the home also heard the explosion.