Fire damages Sweet Home apartments after cigarette sparks blaze

  • Source: KPTV-TV Fox 12 Beaverton
  • Published: 12/04/2018 09:05 PM

A discarded cigarette sparked an apartment fire Tuesday night and caused more than $20,000 in damages, according to fire officials. Firefighters responded to the six-unit apartment building in the 2300 block of Main Street just after 5 p.m. and saw flames in an apartment on the first floor. Crews say an occupant in the unit escaped safely; Sweet Home police officers helped firefighters evacuate the remaining five units. Sweet Home Fire District reports the owner of the building was on scene trying to extinguish the flames with a garden hose. Responding firefighters took over and extinguished the flames quickly. Officials estimate the building sustained $20,000 in damages. They estimate an additional $3,500 in damages to contents inside the apartment. Firefighters say the blaze was accidental and caused by an improperly discarded cigarette.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe