VIDEO: A family living on Deer Ridge Drive in Medford escaped harm on Wednesday night when flames consumed their garage. Now Medford Fire-Rescue (MFR) is taking the opportunity to point out the family's "fire rated door," which appeared to keep the flames from spreading to the rest of the home.
"A fire rated door can often be the last barrier between you and a fire that could end up saving your life and your home. Same door, two sides, two separate outcomes," MFR said.
Desiree Anthony was watching a movie and eating dinner with her husband and two kids when they heard explosive noises coming from their garage.
"My husband cracked open the door to the garage and realized that it was glowing...smoke came in, so he just closed the door and said 'Get out,'" said Anthony.
Firefighters arrived at the home to find a "well-involved" garage fire. The Anthony family had already gotten out of the house, and stood with neighbors outside as fire crews did a brief search of the home before attacking the flames.