Fire damages Corvallis rooming house

  • Source: Albany Democrat-Herald
  • Published: 03/08/2019 08:47 PM

PHOTOS: Firefighters rescued a woman from the roof of a burning building in downtown Corvallis Friday afternoon. “She smelled smoke and saw smoke coming into her apartment, but she couldn’t get out the door to the hallway, so she had to go out on the roof,” said Jim Patton, a fire prevention officer with the Corvallis Fire Department. “We actually raised a ladder up to her.” The blaze broke out about 2:30 p.m. in a three-story wood-frame rooming house at 554 SW Jefferson Ave., sending thick clouds of choking gray smoke billowing into the tree-lined street. Patton said the woman called 911 when she realized she was trapped by the flames, and an operator coached her to climb out a window onto the roof so firefighters could help her down. “We can give credit to one of our dispatchers,” Patton said. The woman’s name and age were not immediately available on Friday. Patton said all 10 residents of the building were accounted for.



Comments

We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
Highlight
ship name
no comments have been added


FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe