Firefighters say fire ignited by oily rags destroyed garage in Bend

  • Source: KPTV-TV FOX 12 Portland
  • Published: 09/25/2022 04:39 PM

A fire ignited by improperly stored rags destroyed a garage and lightly damaged a house in Bend on Sunday, according to the Bend Fire & Rescue. Just after 3 a.m., firefighters responded to reports of a structure fire on Deschutes Market Road. A log-built garage, attached to the log house by a covered walkway, was completely engulfed in flames when they arrived. Inside the home, the two occupants were still asleep, as the smoke alarms hadn’t yet been triggered by the external fire. Firefighters evacuated the residents and were able to protect the house from more than some external charring and water damage, but the garage was a total loss. Inside the garage were two vehicles and several custom bicycles. Investigators determined that the fire began in a plastic trash can inside the garage.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe