Fire destroys camper at Bend’s Hunnell Road encampment; cause traced to smoking

  • Source: KTVZ NBC/CW+ 21 Bend
  • Published: 01/22/2023 02:38 PM

VIDEO: A fire destroyed a small camper at the Hunnell Road homeless encampment late Saturday afternoon, putting up tall flames and black smoke. Investigators determined it was accidental in nature, related to someone smoking inside. Bend Fire & Rescue crews responded around 3:50 p.m. to the reported fire on Hunnell Road just north of Cooley Road, Deputy Fire Marshal Cindy Kettering said. Arriving units found the pickup-style camper was fully engulfed, but firefighters were able to quickly put it out before it spread to other vehicles, Kettering said. Total losses were estimated at $1,500. The camper occupant, who was unidentified, had left the scene before fire crews arrived, she said. When the first fire crews arrived, they found that another motor home was parked directly in front of the fire hydrant, the fire official said.



Comments

We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
Highlight
ship name
no comments have been added


FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe