Operating room fire at OHSU caused minor injuries to patient in December

  • Source: KGW-TV NBC 8 Portland
  • Published: 01/25/2023 09:27 PM

A fire broke out in an operating room at Oregon Health and Science University at some point in December, causing minor injuries to a patient, the hospital confirmed this week. The fire was quickly extinguished, according to OHSU, but the hospital declined to provide any other specific details about the incident, citing HIPAA patient privacy rules. The incident prompted OHSU to conduct an internal review of what went wrong, according to an OHSU spokeswoman. Federal investigators from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) also investigated the incident several weeks after it happened after receiving an anonymous tip. According to an OHSU spokeswoman, the federal investigators "assigned the site 'immediate jeopardy' status," which required immediate action to fix the problems.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe