Odor prompts evacuation of Windber apartments

  • Source: Somerset Co. Daily American
  • Published: 07/09/2018 01:37 PM

Residents of Quemahoning Towers, 1700 Veil Ave., Windber, were evacuated around 10:30 a.m. Monday when a hot water heating system on the roof malfunctioned, leaking oil into the ventilation system and sending a strong odor of oil throughout the building. A third-party contractor was working on the boiler system when a mechanical defect caused the system to overflow and leak about 20 gallons of heating oil into the building's heating, ventilation and air conditioning system, according to Anson Bloom, deputy chief of the Windber Fire Department. "Eventually the entire building was evacuated due to the strong smell of fuel oil," Bloom said. Approximately 150 residents were evacuated to the Calvary United Methodist Church nearby while the leak was contained and the building was ventilated.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe