Investigators say a fire in the 2700 block of Perkiomen Avenue in Mount Penn may have been caused by an electrical issue.
"This seems like kind of a rare, freak accident," said Det. Sgt. Deron Manndel, with the Central Berks Police Department. "Looks like some issues with the wiring coming in from the pole into the home, possibly coupled with construction work going on outside, may have played a factor."
Investigators say two people were injured in the fire, including an 80-year-old bed-ridden woman.
"They were able to successfully rescue her from the bedroom, by going up through the second floor window and taking her out that way," Manndel said.
One neighbor saw that rescue take place.
"They pried one of the windows off and then had someone coming down the ladder. She looked limp so I wasn't sure what was happening and I looked in the story this morning and found out she was okay," said neighbor Nathan Keim.