'It can suffocate you and kill you' : First responders help save people during chemical mix up at Reading YMCA

  • Source: WFMZ-TV 69 Allentown
  • Published: 08/05/2022 06:23 PM

It's a chemical mix that could kill. “It can suffocate you and kill you. It's a pretty dangerous chemical that was created,” said Lt. Trent Zulick with the Reading Fire Department. Firefighters and EMS worked quickly to save 20 people, including six kids, some as young as five, after authorities say a chlorine mix got messed up underneath the pool of the YMCA. "Kind of double or triple or quadrupled the problem and that violent reaction creates chlorine gas,” said Deputy Chief Tom Kemery with the Reading Fire Department. Symptoms hit swimmers. "Irritated eyes, irritated throats,” said Zulick. “Kids had shortness of breath." The sick got sent to Reading Hospital and St. Joe's, while first responders worked to get the gas out of the building. "We set fans up, brought fresh air in,” Kemery. “We had to do a search to make sure nobody passed out."



Comments

We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
Highlight
ship name
no comments have been added


FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe