Officials identify girl killed in Reading fire

  • Source: WFMZ-TV 69 Allentown
  • Published: 01/26/2023 07:00 PM

We're learning more about a fire that left a 13-year-old girl dead in Reading. It happened on Summit Avenue around 4 a.m. Saturday. Fire officials say Empressi Martin died of smoke inhalation. A 56-year-old man is still in critical condition. Officials say it was sparked by the improper use of a heating appliance, which led to the ignition of nearby combustible materials. The fire started in the first-floor living room. The fire is classified as accidental. The structure has been declared unsafe due to the fire damage and will likely be a total loss, according to the Fire Marshal's Office. The damage estimate for the building and contents is $100,000. The Office of Fire Marshal said it would like to remind everyone: Practice in home fire drills and have a dedicated meeting place for family members.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe