1 person taken to hospital following hazmat incident at Providence Post Office

  • Source: WJAR-TV NBC 10 Providence
  • Published: 01/11/2021 12:00 AM

One person was taken to the hospital following a hazmat incident at the post office in Providence Sunday morning. Firefighters said they responded to Corliss Street just before 10 a.m. for a report of two people exposed to hydrogen gas from a battery mishap. Upon arrival, crews were able to find the two victims involved and evacuated the building. Providence fire said one victim refused treatment and the other was taken to Miriam Hospital as a precaution and to be evaluated. Fire officials said they shut the power down and ventilated the battery room until it was safe. A spokesperson for the post office said "there was an issue with a forklift battery. The fire department arrived on the scene quickly, the issue was resolved and all employees were allowed to return to work. There was no impact on the mail."



Comments

We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
Highlight
ship name
no comments have been added


FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe