A fire forced four people out of their Johnston home early Friday morning.
The flames broke out in the Plainfield Street house at about 3 a.m.
There were no reports of injuries. The Red Cross was helping the family.
Officials said the fire started in wiring in an attic crawl space.
"There was pretty heavy fire up on the top floor as you see there. We got in there and got it, knocked it down," said Fire Chief Peter Lamb. "In a house like this, you have to check all the spaces, all the walls, etc., to make sure there's no hidden fire."
One of the residents tried to put it out with a hose, but there was too much smoke.
The family escaped with two dogs, but two ferrets did not make it.
The house was too heavily damaged to live in.