Residents in one Mount Carmel neighborhood were able to return home after being evacuated due to a propane tank leak.
According to Mount Carmel Fire Chief Jason Byington, emergency crews initially responded to a reported gas leak on Elm Street just before 9 p.m. Tuesday. The homeowner, who wishes to remain anonymous, noticed the smell and called for assistance.
Upon arrival, first-responders determined the leak was from a residential propane tank.
Residents of four homes in the immediate area were evacuated as a precaution, according to Chief of Police Kenny Lunsford Jr.
Emergency crews left the scene just after 1 a.m. Wednesday morning, after determining the evacuated residents were able to re-enter their homes. The hazmat crews tested the air near those houses to ensure their safety.
Byington said there were no injuries.