Dozens of seniors evacuated after smoke problems at Chattanooga high rise

  • Source: WTVC-TV ABC/FOX 9 Chattanooga
  • Published: 09/23/2021 12:00 AM

92 seniors in a high rise had to be evacuated Tuesday morning after a faulty air unit on the roof sent smoke through all 9 floors of the building. This happened a little after 7 a.m. at the Silvertree Seniors of Chattanooga Apartment Homes off of Highway 58. Firefighters were told there was a fire in the building. Several alarms were called to the scene. A tweet from the Chattanooga Fire Department says an air handling unit on the roof malfunctioned and sent smoke thru every floor of the high rise structure. Right now, there are no reports of any major injuries. Hamilton County Emergency Services, which is also on the scene, has closed one lane of traffic on Highway 58 near Hickory Valley Road while the ventilation continues.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe