According to the Cowskin Fire Department, the fire occurred in a long set of commercial buildings over 100 years old, and around 38 fire units operated by over 75 firefighters, mostly volunteers from four Oklahoma counties, Kansas, and Missouri, fought yesterday afternoon and into the evening to get it out.
He had the same duties as a regular firefighter, but he was restricted on higher risk activities such as entering active structure fires.
After he turned 18, Martinez became a regular volunteer and completed the Amarillo College Fire Academy and EMT training.
The new positions were able to be approved due to available funds from the county assistance district voters passed in 2017.
KFDA-TV CBS 10 Amarillo
Lubbock Fire Chief Shaun Fogerson wants to remind citizens of the Hub City that fireworks inside city limits are still illegal, and individuals in violation can face substantial fines.
Lubbock Fire Rescue issued a statement Tuesday, saying LFR responded to one house fire and multiple grass fires Monday night that they say were a direct result of illegal fireworks use.
They are also concerned about how the response and investigation into fireworks calls adds further responsibility to first responders who are needed on the scene of other crimes and emergencies.
LFR says possession or use of fireworks in the city can result in a fine of up to $1,000.
KCBD-TV NBC 11 Lubbock
San Antonio firefighters are crediting workers at a warehouse near downtown for preventing an ammonia leak from spreading throughout the neighborhood.
Battalion chief Jarrett Vocke said the took quick action that kept the leak contained only to their building, located in the 1500 block of S. San Marcos.
”That was mitigated by keeping the doors closed, which was a good call on the employees’ part and we were able to slowly ventilate the structures,” Vocke said.
The process of ventilating the building, owned by Kiolbassa Smoked Meats, took most of the night.
Firefighters got the initial call about the leak shortly after 11:30 p.m. Monday but didn’t give the all-clear until around 5 a.m. Tuesday.
”Initially, when we first got on scene, not all employees were accounted for because they had left through different exits,” Vocke said.
Eventually, everyone did turn up.
KSAT-TV ABC 12 San Antonio
Fire chiefs in the Big Country said they've been busy this month battling wildfires.
"Usually it starts in July, but this year it started in June and it's been very hectic," said Eula Fire Chief Charlie Dawson.
Dawson, with the Eula Volunteer Fire Department, said a wildfire in Callahan County on the 18th damaged four of his trucks, which were in service the next day.
"In this situation, it was dark and heavy smoke and couldn't see what you were hitting, running over fences, trees, boulders and just fighting the terrain," said Dawson.
The same fire damaged a brush truck with the Clyde Volunteer Fire Department, which is still out of service.
"With all the recent fires, it over heated on us and a fire blown the airline and blew the motor in it all the back to station and trying to get it prepared," said Clyde Fire Chief Richy Barr.
KTXS-TV ABC 12 Abilene
According to the city of Abilene, Lake Kirby will be closed July 4th beginning at 7 pm to prevent the use of fireworks within city limits.
Jeremy Williams, Fire Marshal for the Abilene fire department said the decision to close Lake Kirby for the 4th of July was to stop the illegal use of fireworks within city limits this holiday weekend.
"We see a lot of fireworks going on out here. When I walked out here today there was a discharged firework laying on the ground" said Williams.
According to Williams in past years the fire department has seen an excess of fireworks coming from the area.
"The last few weeks, we have had an excessive amount of grass fires in the city and right on the edge of town even with the recent rainfall, the high winds we will have all week and high temperatures we are afraid of grass fires and want to cut down on that this weekend," said Williams.
KIDY-TV Fox 6 San Angelo
The Woodrow Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire late Monday night at a home that is now a complete loss, but the family and pets are safe.
Fire Chief Wes Boone says crews were called around 11:35 Monday night in the 17000 block of County Road 2220.
When firefighters arrived, the fire was fully involved in the northeast corner bedroom. All the occupants including pets were reported safe but the house is a total loss.
It is unknown at this time whether the State Fire Marshall is investigating. The cause of the fire at this time is undetermined.
KCBD-TV NBC 11 Lubbock