A child became trapped in a chimney Tuesday after climbing out a window.
Officials said the 5-year-old child became stuck at a home in the 11230 block of White Oak Road in Dinwiddie just after 10:30 a.m. It took rescue crews two hours to free the child.
“He’s a daredevil," said Dinwiddie County Chief of Fire and EMS Dennis Hale, “We thought maybe he climbed into a fireplace or got into a wood stove, or gotten up on a shelf.”
Instead, the boy climbed to the roof and eventually the top of the chimney.
Hale says firefighters could hear the boy hollering for help when they arrived, before finally locating him at the bottom of the chute.
The objective was then to figure out how to free him, which involved getting as close to him as they could and create an opening in the chimney.