Firefighters were able to knock down flames that broke out at an apartment in Norfolk early Friday morning.
According to Norfolk Fire-Rescue, the fire started at an apartment building in the 300 block of Forth Worth Ave. shortly after 5 a.m. Crews were able to contain the flames just a little after 6 a.m. Firefighters rescued a 12-year-old boy and his father from the building. The boy was taken to CHKD to be treated, but it's unknown at this time what the extent of his injuries are.
The sound of a fire burning woke tenant Paulette Davis from her bed.
“It’s like the whole back was lit up like a Christmas tree, and we kept just hearing a pop pop pop,” said Davis.
She said she’s lived in this apartment complex, on Fort Worth Avenue for 11 years.
Now four units, including hers, are unlivable.
“I’m just in utter shock, I just can’t believe it,” said Davis.