Basement fire in northwest Roanoke that displaced two was ‘intentionally set,’ officials say

  • Source: WFXR-TV Fox 27 Roanoke
  • Published: 01/21/2021 12:00 AM

After a basement fire in northwest Roanoke Wednesday evening left two people displaced, fire officials determined that the fire was caused by a resident inappropriately using a pyrotechnic flare device. According to Roanoke Fire-EMS, crews were dispatched shortly before 5:15 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 20, to a fire in the 3900 block of Grandview Avenue NW. When units arrived, they reportedly found heavy smoke inside a residents before they located the fire in the basement. While there are no reports of injuries resulting from the fire, the department says two residents were displaced because of the incident. On Thursday, Jan. 21, Roanoke Fire-EMS announced the cause of the fire was deemed incendiary, adding that the fire started because of “a resident’s inappropriate use of a pyrotechnic flare device inside the basement of the home.”



Comments

We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
Highlight
ship name
no comments have been added


FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe