Classes and all school-related activities are canceled at Surprise Lake Middle School in Milton on Tuesday after a fire in the boiler-room area damaged one of the school’s buildings.
The actual fire damage is pretty minimal, district administrators told KOMO News on Monday night. The bigger issue is the damage from all of the smoke and water, they said.
Water and smoke caused damage to the school’s gym, cafeteria and one of the restrooms right below where the fire started.
"Concern is hot water in this building because it was a hot water tank. And, you know, the smoke and the water damage. So, having school (Tuesday) is impossible," said Kevin Alfano, Superintendent of Fife Public Schools.
The school’s sprinkler system quickly kicked in and put the fire out just as parent Raj Sanghera came to pick up her son from soccer practice.