Cooking oil fire causes $100,000 damage to apartment in West Valley

  • Source: Yakima Herald-Republic
  • Published: 12/24/2018 12:46 PM

Firefighters battled a blaze early Christmas Eve morning at an apartment building in West Valley. Fire officials were called at 12:21 a.m. to reports of a structure fire at a four-unit apartment building at 407 S. 81st Ave., according to a Yakima Fire Department news release. A resident in one of the apartments was cooking with a pan of oil on the stove when the fire started and escaped with minor burns to her hands, the release said. The building's occupants were evacuated without injury. Firefighters worked quickly to stop the fire and damage was limited to the unit where the fire started, the release said. Significant damage to the kitchen area and fire and smoke damage to the rest of the apartment is estimated at $100,000, the release said. The cause was determined to be cooking oil. Twenty firefighters from Yakima and West Valley fire departments responded.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe