Mom, baby safe in accidental Spokane apartment fire

  • Source: KXLY-TV ABC 4
  • Published: 10/09/2018 11:33 AM

At 6:20 a.m. Tuesday, Spokane firefighters responded to fire alarms going off at a South Hill apartment complex at 3210 E 44th Ave. A mom and her baby were in their apartment when a candle was accidentally knocked onto a bed and started the fire. The mother and child safely got out of the building. According to Spokane Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer, the building's sprinkler system put out the fire before crews even arrived. Damage was contained the bedroom where the fire started. Fire alarms effectively notified people in nearby units. Up to 25 people evacuated but were able to return to their apartments when fire crews got there. The mom and baby are now unable to stay in their unit because of smoke damage. Chief Schaeffer said Tuesday the building owner was working with the mother on a place for them to stay.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe