Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish a blaze overnight Friday at an apartment building in the Fourth Plain Village neighborhood caused by a candle and discarded smoking materials.
Vancouver Fire Department crews were dispatched about 1:26 a.m. to 2817 Neals Lane for the report of a multiple residential unit structure fire.
The fire department said in an email that four engines, two ladder trucks and two battalion chiefs responded to the Hidden Villa Apartment Complex. The first unit to arrive reported flames and smoke emanating from a second-story window.
“That crew pulled a hose line and applied water from the outside knocking the fire down very quickly and preventing the spread to the attic and other units,” the fire department said.
Firefighters entered the building to ensure the fire was out and to check for occupants, who had all evacuated their apartments before responders arrived.
One person was evaluated for smoke inhalation and declined a trip to the hospital for further treatment, according to the fire department.