Investigators say an overnight fire that destroyed half of a strip mall in Washougal started with a pile of sheets that spontaneously caught fire.
Just after 12:40 a.m. Sunday, the Camas-Washougal Fire Department responded to a structure fire at Riverside Laundry, located at 921 4th St. in Washougal.
When crews arrived, they reported seeing smoke and fire showing from the building. Firefighters called a second alarm and brought in 11 units from the Vancouver Fire Department and East County Fire and Rescue.
It took crews about 45 minutes to extinguish the fire. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters say the laundromat’s roof caved in, and a massage business and car shop were also damaged.