Whatcom County house fire shows ‘just emptying the lint screen is not enough for dryers’

  • Source: The Bellingham Herald
  • Published: 10/22/2019 12:00 AM

Firefighters kept a blaze from destroying a house south of Bellingham Saturday afternoon, but the fire serves as a reminder of the importance of keeping a clothes dryer properly cleaned. South Whatcom Fire Authority and Bellingham Fire Department crews responded to the 900 block of Bass Street at 1:05 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 18, according to the PulsePoint app, for the report of the house fire. South Whatcom chief Rod Topel said though the family was home at the time of the fire, everyone escaped without injury. “All in all, as fires go, this one was quickly identified and quickly extinguished by the first crews in,” Topel told The Bellingham Herald. Topel said the fire started in the laundry room and spread with some “minor extension” to a nearby bathroom and kitchen. He estimated the damage at approximately $80,000.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe