Yakima firefighters respond to duplex fire caused by portable heater

  • Source: YakTriNews
  • Published: 10/29/2019 10:47 AM

The Yakima Fire Department was on the scene of a fire at a duplex early Tuesday morning. According to the department, the fire started in the 700 block of South 9th Avenue around 2:19 a.m. Yakima police officers were able to evacuate residents in the connected unit, and there were no injuries. The apartment was completely destroyed in the unit which it started in, while the other unit was not damaged. The displaced family is receiving help from the Red Cross. Firefighters say the fire was caused by a portable space heater that "was too close to combustible materials, or by an inadequate extension cord serving the portable heater." Damages are estimated to cost $80,000.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe