Fire at Union Gospel Mission caused by improperly stored oily rags, Spokane Fire Department says

  • Source: KXLY-TV ABC 4
  • Published: 03/04/2020 09:48 AM

A fire at the Union Gospel Mission on Trent late Tuesday evening was caused by improperly stored oily rags, according to the Spokane Fire Department. SFD teams found the fire contained in a storage room near the kitchen. The building was evacuated and smoke filled the space. Firefighters stayed at UGM for two hours, ventilating the building. Damage was contained to the storage room and surrounding sheet rock. Fortunately, no one was injured. The SFD reminded the public that when oily laundry is improperly stored (in a pile), the oil is slowly heated to its ignition point which can result in eventual ignition of the oil and laundry. Oily rags and laundry should first be dried in a safe area outside and then stored in an airtight, non-combustible container with a tight-fitting lid. Cover the rags completely with a solution of water and an oil breakdown detergent.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe