Firefighters knock down garage fire in Port Townsend

  • Source: Port Townsend Leader
  • Published: 11/15/2020 01:03 PM

Firefighters from East Jefferson Fire Rescue quickly doused a garage fire Saturday afternoon in Port Townsend. Emergency crews responded to a home on Beech Street near its intersection with M Street just after 1:30 p.m. Nov. 14 in response to a 911 call. Firefighters found flames and smoke on the side of a garage when they arrived. The fire was quickly put out. The blaze was apparently sparked when hot ashes from a wood stove had been put inside a plastic compost bucket. The homeowner thought the ashes had been cold and did not contain hot coals, officials said. East Jefferson Fire Rescue is reminding residents to take proper precautions when cleaning out wood stoves. “It is important to keep hot ashes away from any flammable material both inside and outside,” said Assistant Fire Chief Brian Tracer. “Remember to use metal buckets and do not use plastic ones when disposing of the ruminates of a fire.”


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe