Firefighters were called to two separate kitchen fires in Bellingham over the weekend.
At about 8:30 a.m. Sunday, crews were alerted to a grease fire in an apartment in the 1300 block of Bay Street in downtown Bellingham and arrived to find a well-involved kitchen fire.
Those inside kept the fire in check by using a fire extinguisher and closing the apartment door when they evacuated.
Firefighters were able to keep fire damage to one apartment, but the department says smoke and water from sprinklers did damage surrounding units.
Not even 24 hours later, crews responded to another kitchen fire that caused extensive damage to a house in the 300 block of North State Street.
No injuries were reported in either incident.