PHOTO: Spokane-based Copeland Architecture & Construction has filed a pre-development application with the city on behalf of property owner B&H Enterprises LLC Number 1 to convert a two-story building once home to Spokane Fire Station No. 1 for a project described as Firehouse restaurant at 418 W. First Ave.
Preliminary site plans call for a dining area and bar on the ground floor and a second dining area with two rooms for larger parties on the upper floor. The basement level will house cold and dry storage, an office and a commercial kitchen. Two site plans were submitted to the city, each showing different configurations of staircases in the building.
Fire Station No. 1 was built and dedicated in 1890, following the Great Fire of 1889. It was the first fire station with paid firefighters. Prior to construction of Fire Station No. 1, the city was served by the Spokane Falls Volunteer Fire Department.