State Fire Marshal Urges Parents To Talk Fire Safety

  • Source: KIT-AM 1280
  • Published: 02/22/2021 12:00 AM

Yakima firefighters have battled a lot of home and apartment fires so far this winter season. Many have been caused by space heaters and woodstoves. Earlier this month a 4-year-old girl was killed in a shed fire on Ahtanum. She was one of two children under the age of 5 that have died in fires this year in the state. The fire happened in a wooden shed in the backyard of a home in the 7600 block of Ahtanum Road. Firefighters arrived to find the shed engulfed in flames. After dousing the fire they found the bodies of 49-year-old Fernando Ornelas and his 4-year-old daughter, Audrey. Both died of smoke inhalation. No foul play is suspected but lots of questions remain as the investigation continues. The fire was caused by a space heater. The deaths have prompted to Washington State Fire Marshal’s Office to remind families to take time to talk about fire safety.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe