VIDEO: Five people were recovering in the hospital with minor injuries after an apartment fire sparked overnight in Kent.
Puget Sound Fire said the call came in around 1:00 a.m. for a fire at the Atrium on James Street apartments. Fire Division Chief Pat Pawlak said when firefighters arrived the fire had spread from the center of the first floor to the third.
Pawlak said firefighters searched the building for trapped residents and put out the flames in 50 minutes.
Five families were displaced and unable to return to their homes Monday morning.
Pawlak said the units impacted were a complete loss with extensive smoke and water damage.
Residents who live at the complex said they woke up to their fire alarms going off and people yelling to get outside the building.