The Kiel Fire Department on Friday responded to multiple structure fires and an accident at a construction site.
The first incident, a house fire, was called in at 12:35 p.m. on the 1200 block of Dewey Street in Kiel. Witnesses said they saw smoke coming from alongside the residence, and responding firefighters found flames visible extending up to the roof-line.
Neighbors attempted to extinguish the flames using garden hoses and fire extinguishers. The fire was contained to the outside of the home and caused approximately $10,000 in damage, according to the fire department.
The fire started when decorative wood chips alongside the residence ignited from a discarded cigarette. The residents were not displaced from the fire.