Racine firefighters Tuesday afternoon responded to a house fire blamed on improperly discarded smoking materials, the fourth such incident that the department has responded to since Thursday.
Fire crews were dispatched at 3:43 p.m. Tuesday to a report of a house fire at 1911 Harriet St., just west of State Street (Highway 38).
According to a release from the Fire Department, upon arrival crews from the first-in engine company were able to initiate a fast attack and extinguish the fire, which was contained to the northeast exterior of the home.
Investigators determined that the fire started shortly after a resident finished smoking a cigarette. A witness reported that at first a cardboard box was on fire but the fire spread to the exterior of the house. No injuries were reported, but damage was estimated at $35,000.