Racine Fire Department battles another structure fire blamed on discarded cigarette; 3 others in past week

  • Source: Racine Journal Times
  • Published: 04/21/2020 05:35 PM

Racine firefighters Tuesday afternoon responded to a house fire blamed on improperly discarded smoking materials, the fourth such incident that the department has responded to since Thursday. Fire crews were dispatched at 3:43 p.m. Tuesday to a report of a house fire at 1911 Harriet St., just west of State Street (Highway 38). According to a release from the Fire Department, upon arrival crews from the first-in engine company were able to initiate a fast attack and extinguish the fire, which was contained to the northeast exterior of the home. Investigators determined that the fire started shortly after a resident finished smoking a cigarette. A witness reported that at first a cardboard box was on fire but the fire spread to the exterior of the house. No injuries were reported, but damage was estimated at $35,000.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe