Racine Fire Department reports 4 fires in 6 days all caused by smoking materials

  • Source: WDJT-TV CBS 58 Milwaukee
  • Published: 04/22/2020 03:40 PM

The Racine Fire Department is concerned after they responded to four fires in six days all caused by smoking materials not thrown away safely. "I’m very alarmed at the outbreak of fires in the city due to the same cause," said Racine Fire Lt. John Magnus. One of the fires started Thursday, April 16, at a home on Green Street when the fire department says the owner threw a lit cigarette into a garbage can that was sitting against the home. The garbage can caught fire and spread to the home. "At that point it caught the porch on fire, went all the way up the house, and got inside,” Racine Fire Lt. Michael Moss, said. A firefighter hurt his ankle putting out the fire. No one else was hurt in the other three similar fires. A fire on Deane Blvd. Sunday, April 19, was caused by a lit cigarette thrown into a non-safe container that ignited the deck.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe