Some recent fires with the common link of cigarettes have left more than 80 people in the community without a home.
A release said Madison Fire Department has responded to at least six fires suspected or determined to be caused by improperly discarded smoking materials since February.
The fires caused nearly $3 million in property loss. There have not been injuries or fatalities from the fires, but Madison fire wanted to draw attention to the trend to prevent more fires like these. One of the incidents happened April 18 when a two-alarm fire started after improperly discarded smoking materials ignited in a clay flower pot. Wind gusts over 35 miles per hour fueled the fire and a high number of cigarette butts contributed to the fire. More than 70 people were displaced.