Two people injured in Janesville house explosion

  • Source: WMTV-TV NBC 15 Madison
  • Published: 05/26/2020 07:52 AM

Two people were injured following a house explosion in Janesville Monday night, according to the Janesville Fire Department. Firefighters were sent to a fully-engulfed house fire on the 800 block of Hawthorne Avenue at 9:15 p.m. Janesville Fire Battalion Chief Ron Bomkamp said one of the duplex's tenants reported they smelled gas by the water heater for several days. Bomkamp said one tenant came downstairs Monday, lit a cigarette, and then the house exploded. "We were sitting out having a fire and we heard a big boom," said Brooke Doan, who lives in the neighborhood. "Above the trees there was a big ball of fire and then smoke. It was probably the scariest thing I've ever witnessed."



Comments

We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
Highlight
ship name
no comments have been added


FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe