Cigarette butts in metal can spark Kaukauna balcony fire

  • Source: WBAY-TV ABC 2 Green Bay
  • Published: 06/10/2021 04:46 AM

A metal coffee with discarded cigarette butts caught fire and caused damage at an apartment building in Kaukauna Thursday morning. At about 3:29 a.m., Kaukauna firefighters responded to 228 W. 12 Street for fire on a second story balcony. Crews were able to contain the fire to the balcony before it spread to apartments. They used a bullet saw to remove two floor joists. That helped prevent spread, according to the fire department. “The investigation revealed that the fire was started by a metal coffee can overfilled with discarded cigarettes that caught fire spread to the balcony,” reads a statement from the department. “The public is advised to be careful when discarding smoking materials and to make sure they are properly extinguished.” No one was hurt. The cost of damage is estimated at $500, according to the fire department.



Comments

We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
Highlight
ship name
no comments have been added


FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe