With severe dry conditions, practicing fire safety is more crucial now than ever to prevent indoor fires.
As of now, there have been 13 indoor/outdoor structure fires in Superior this year. Kitchen fires are the most common indoor fire incidents, but leaving open flames and heat sources unattended is a big reason why fires are going up.
“The common mistakes are when people do exactly that, when they have some heating source, a heat source from a candle, or something that of that aesthetic, or from a heat source that is something needed,” said Superior Fire Chief Scott Gordon. “A plug-in, space heater, people leaving them unattended, and or having them close to something that is also flammable.”
Fire departments across the Northland are also preparing for fire prevention month in October. They host different ac