'Careless use of smoking material' caused fire at Tomah residential facility

  • Source: WMSN-TV FOX 47 Madison
  • Published: 12/06/2022 12:00 AM

Careless use of smoking material is to blame for a fire Saturday night at a community-based residential facility, according to the Tomah Fire Department. The fire department was called to the facility in the 100 block of East Council Street around 5:30 p.m. Saturday. Those first on scene said that heavy fire was coming from the northwest side and was growing quickly. The Tomah Police Department was able to evacuate residents to safety. No injuries were reported. Tomah called in mutual aid from both Oakdale and Fort McCoy. Forty-one responders were on scene. The fire took several hours to contain, according to officials. The City of Tomah salted the area due to cold weather quickly freezing the water used for fire suppression.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe