An Eden institution was heavily damaged by fire Thursday morning.
At about 9:07 a.m., Fond du Lac County deputies and Eden firefighters were called to Eden Meat Market, 115 E. Main Street, for a report of a bacon grease fire. Crews arrived to smoke and flames coming from the back of the building.
“They were preparing bacon at the rear of the structure here, and the fire that they use to create the smoke to smoke the bacon penetrated the floor into that bacon grease and the fire was on from there,” Eden Fire Chief Kyle Salter said.
“Employees attempted to extinguish the fire. However, they were unsuccessful and had to evacuate the building. Three employees were treated and released from the scene for smoke inhalation,” said Sheriff Ryan Waldschmidt. Weather conditions and the size of the fire led to mutual aid calls.