Three people were taken to a hospital during an ammonia leak at a business in Green Bay.
At about 1:15 a.m., the Green Bay Metro Fire Department was called to TNT Crust at 508 Elizabeth Street. Crews found a “substantial leak” in the ammonia coolant system, according to the department.
Employees were evacuated. The fire department says if the employees stayed in the building just a little longer, this incident could have turned deadly.
“My understanding is that the evacuation was completed and everyone was accounted for when crews arrived, then they began to ask how many people are ill and need to be assessed. So in addition to hazmat, this was really close to being a mass casualty,” Capt. David Siegel, a science officer with the GBMFD hazmat team, said.