Fairmont residents evacuated due to smoke

  • Source: Fairmont Times West Virginian
  • Published: 08/04/2018 02:24 AM

Residents were evacuated from the Pierpont Center on Country Club Road late Friday night after smoke was seen coming from a ceiling fan in a bathroom, according to an administrator for the assisted living community and a fire official. “The fire was contained in the bathroom area in the ceiling fan,” Monogah Fire Chief Harless McCombs said. “Actually, it got up into the attic and caught some insulation on fire, so we pulled the ceiling and pulled out all the burning insulation...” He said no one was injured. He believed the fire was caused by a short circuit in the plug of the fan. He said the bathroom is in an individual’s room. The residents were evacuated to the Tygart Center next door. Jennifer Pagliaro, the regional center executive director for the facility, said the residents were evacuated for less than an hour and then returned to the Pierpont Center. She said approximately 38 to 40 residents were evacuated.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe