One person dead in Monongalia County fire

  • Source: WVMetroNews
  • Published: 09/06/2019 03:41 PM

A house fire off Daybrook Road on Friday morning claimed the life of a woman in her early 80s. Mazzie McCoy did not escape the blaze, according to Nimrod McCoy, her brother-in-law. Nimrod McCoy said Mazzie was still in her bedroom and his brother, George, was outside talking to a brush-clearing crew from the electric company. When he got back inside, the house was on fire and he couldn’t reach her through the smoke and fire. George was taken to J.W. Ruby Memorial Hospital. The two were married for “40 some” years and had lived in the house on Bert Park Road, near 1110 Daybrook Road, for about as long, Nimrod McCoy said. George’s nephew, Dale Carpenter, said he’s more than welcome to stay at his home. Nimrod built a room on to Carpenter’s house a while back for George and his wife. Carpenter said he and George have been close for the last several years.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe