A man walked directly into the path of a bus in Lake Nona on Wednesday.
The 15-passenger self-driving shuttle came to a halt and let out a loud beep – preventing a collision and turning heads from the firefighters in attendance.
The demonstration was part of a training session meant to teach Orlando’s first repsonders how to handle emergency situations involving Beep autonomous vehicles, soon to hit the roads in the southeast Orlando community.
Beep, an Orlando-based company, plans to introduce the shuttles later this summer.
During Wednesday’s training, Orlando Fire Department and Orange County Fire Rescue crews, along with Orlando Police Department officers, got hands-on experience with the vehicles, learning how to enter the passenger area and manually operate and disable the shuttles’ automated driving system, said Beep CEO Joe Moye.
Orlando joins a number of cities adopting autonomous vehicles, including Gainesville, Jacksonville, Detroit and Las Vegas, after city officials studied the technology for years as a solution to mobility and traffic safety.
Orlando Sentinel - Metered Site
As communities in southeast Wisconsin continue to grow, so does the need for volunteer firefighters. Fire Chief Tim Allen of the Union Grove Yorkville Fire Department has been in the business for decades, so firefighting is in his blood.
"I grew up in this business. My dad did it for 34 years, so I have been here since I have been a kid," said Allen.
He said over the years he has noticed the number of volunteer firefighters decrease and the call volume increase.
Allen said the reason the number of volunteers across the state and nation is decreasing is due to the increase in training.
"Everybody is facing the same problems. I haven’t heard of anybody that says, 'Oh, we got a ton of people,' " said Allen.
To help recruit and retain new volunteer firefighters, state Sen. Patrick Testin and lawmakers proposed a bill called the B.R.A.V.E Act.
"We have roughly 863 fire departments here in the state of Wisconsin, and 701 rely solely on volunteers and an additional 100 rely on part-time volunteers. The vast majority of our fire departments are dependent on men and women who volunteer their time to protect our communities," said Testin.
WTMJ-TV NBC 4 Milwaukee
According to some Heartland first responders, a feature on your smart phone could save your life.
“Medical ID” shows information about your health, especially important if you’re ever unresponsive or unable to communicate.
“Everybody never thinks it’s going to happen to them until it’s done,” said Quentin Goode, Stoddard County Ambulance District EMT and Strike Team.
He’s referring to needing emergency medical assistance for any reason. That’s when the “Medical ID” phone feature comes in handy for first responders.
“You pretty much are going into it blind. So not knowing any of the patient’s information, whether their allergic to something to any medication that we’d be giving in route," he said.
Captain Jamie Holcomb, EMD, EMT-B for Stoddard County, described it like a tech-savvy medical bracelet.
“In the event that a person’s unresponsive, this can be a vast amount of knowledge into a person’s medical history,” said Holcomb.
KFVS-TV 12 CBS Cape Girardeau
VIDEO: New cutting-edge technology to help firefighters and first responders was developed right here in the Bay Area.
It's called "C-Thru" and it allows firefighters to see through thick smoke when battling fire -- and a man from San Francisco came up with the idea.
The Menlo Park Fire Department has tried the technology and say it's a game changer.
During testing, this technology shaved off minutes of their response time, and that could be the difference between life and death.
Behind the technology -- a trip inside a volcano.
“While we were inside this active volcano, our team of 60 folks as we were trying to navigate inside the volcano couldn't see where we were going and it presented a hazard,” said the man behind the technology, Sam Crossman.
Inside that smoke-filled volcano nearly five years ago, Crossman realized a need to restore vision in high stress, hazardous conditions, not just for volcano explorers but also for firefighters, especially after his own scare last year at his Russian Hill home.
KRON-TV 4 San Francisco
It was an accident that changed policy and the way firefighters protect us.
Four Cincinnati firefighters were putting out a fire 28 years ago, when all of a sudden the ladder they were on snapped. Almost three decades later, for the first time, one of those firefighters is talking about that day and the changes that followed.
Don Roper remembers that day like it was yesterday.
It was a two-alarm fire at an abandoned home in the scorching heat. The mission for Roper and his men seemed simple -- put out the fire and make sure no one was inside.
But no fire is ever routine, and July 21, 1991, was proof of that.
While Roper and his men from Ladder No. 4 were trying to get to the roof of the Corryville home, the unexpected happened.The wooden ladder Roper and three other firefighters were climbing broke in two.
In an instant, all four men fell almost 20 feet to the ground. Suddenly, firefighters coming to the rescue needed to be rescued.
Roper said it all just happened so fast -- but he remembers every second.
WLWT-TV NBC 5 Cincinnati