Iowa News
CHANGE STATE

Monday, October 18, 2021

Dubuque Fire Department Awarded International Accredited Status


The Dubuque Fire Department has received Accredited Agency status with the Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI) for meeting the criteria established through the CFAI’s voluntary self-assessment and accreditation program. The announcement follows a thorough, five-year process including document review and onsite assessment. The Dubuque Fire Department is now one of fewer than 300 fire departments in the world and just five other departments in Iowa to be accredited. This accreditation is a voluntary process and provides an agency/department with an improvement model to assess their service delivery and performance internally and then works with a team of peers from other agencies to evaluate their completed self-assessment. It shows the community that the Dubuque Fire Department continually self-assesses, looks for opportunities for improvement, and is transparent and accountable through third-party verification and validation.
City of Dubuque

Cedar Rapids retirees displaced after fire


Several people are displaced after a fire Friday night at a Cedar Rapids apartment complex. Fire officials described the building as a multifamily retirement complex. Firefighters responded to the an automatic alarm at 1230 English Lane. Responders met with residents in the lobby. When they went to the 3rd floor, first responders found heavy smoke coming from an apartment. Evacuation became the top priority at this point, according to a new release on the fire. The building's sprinkler system put the fire in check while crews worked to get residents out of the building. After the fire was extinguished, crews found it was unoccupied. All three floors reportedly suffered extensive water damage from the sprinkler system. The fire remains under investigation.
KWWL-TV NBC 7 Waterloo

Des Moines firefighter adopts dog he rescued in apartment fire


A Des Moines firefighter has a new best friend. In September, authorities were called to an apartment fire. As they extinguished the fire, they found and rescued a 16-month-old Mastiff. First responders supplied the dog with oxygen. Animal Control arrived and explained the treatment for the dog would be expensive and the other option was the euthanize the dog. The owner opted for euthanizing the dog, but a firefighter stepped in. Malcolm Cortner, who had assisted in pulling the dog out of the building, asked to take ownership of the Mastiff along with the medical expenses. The previous owner gave the dog over to Cortner and a new family was formed. The dog, George, is now happy and healthy in his new home.
KCCI-TV CBS 8 Des Moines

Two people escape fire that consumes their car along Highway 30 near Linn County


A family from Arizona is counting their blessings this weekend after escaping a car fire Saturday afternoon. First responders were called to Highway 30 near the Cedar River just before 12:15pm. When they arrived the car was already engulfed in flames. The driver said the car began smoking while driving and they pulled over. Smoke turned to flames after they stopped and they quickly got out. The Ely Fire Department was called out to put out the fire. Neither the driver or passenger suffered any injuries.
KGAN-TV CBS 2 Cedar Rapids

Fire ravages Cedar Rapids mobile home


A manufactured home received widespread damage after a fire on Saturday night, according to officials. At around 11:24 p.m., the Cedar Rapids Fire Department was sent to a report of a fire at 159 Summer Circle NE. Firefighters arrived to find a significant fire, but all occupants and pets safely outside of the home. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire which protected nearby homes. However, the home initially involved in the fire had damage to all parts, according to department officials. Smoke alarms were working at the home, and nobody was injured in the incident. The occupants of the home were displaced by the blaze. Firefighters are still investigating the cause of the fire.
KCRG-TV ABC 9 Cedar Rapids


Friday, October 15, 2021

Norwalk Fire Department under new leadership with first female chief


VIDEO: The Norwalk Fire Department is under new leadership and the hire is historic. “I am the first female fire chief here in Norwalk,” Jenn Porter said. There are only a few female fire chiefs in the state, and Porter can now say she’s one of them. She’s taking on the top job after being on the department for the past 13 years. Even though she’s making history, Porter remains focused on her new role. “It’s a big deal to my family. I think they’re proud of me,” Porter said. “I was just doing a job. It’s just serving people here and serving our community and I think that people outside of myself see that’s a bigger deal than I do.” Porter has been the interim fire chief since May. She will be officially sworn in next month.
WHO-TV NBC 13 Des Moines

Three displaced after garage catches on fire at Cedar Rapids home


Three people are displaced after their home caught fire late Thursday night in Cedar Rapids. Cedar Rapids Fire arrived to the 300 block of Hampden Drive NE around 11:30 pm where the garage of a home was on fire. Firefighters knocked down the garage fire and then had to extinguish fire that had spread through the attic. CRFD says the three people living in the home are displaced due to the damage. There is heavy fire damage in the garage and attic space. There was also damage to the ceiling in the living room and moderate smoke damage throughout the home. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
KGAN-TV CBS 2 Cedar Rapids







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe