Minnesota News
CHANGE STATE

Monday, July 22, 2024

Trash fire spreads to Rochester mobile home


PHOTO: A Saturday trash fire led to a mobile home fully engulfed in flames. Just after 10:00 a.m. the Rochester Fire Department was called to 1701 10th St. SE, lot 18. RFD arrived on scene to find a trash can lean-to fully engulfed in flames and the fire had spread to a nearby trailer home. Initial reports were that everyone made it out of the home. Crews quickly sprang into action, and searched the home to confirm no one was inside. No injuries were reported. The estimated damage has not yet been determined. The Mayo Clinic Ambulance Service and Red Cross assisted with the incident. RFD is reminding residents to make sure smoke detectors are in working order and never re-enter a home if it has caught on fire. The department also said families should ensure they have an established escape plan and meeting spot outside.
KIMT-TV CBS 3 Mason City

Corcoran house fire injures 1 resident, 2 firefighters


A house fire in Corcoran Saturday afternoon left one resident and two firefighters injured. Around 1:45 p.m., Corcoran police responded to a house fire on the 6200 block of Steeple Chase Lane, authorities said. The 911 caller stated there was black and white smoke coming from the basement of the home. Police arrived at the scene and found smoke visible from the outside of the home. Officers then made sure everyone was out of the house, according to law enforcement. Multiple fire departments responded to the scene, with authorities saying about 75 firefighters were assisting due to heat and humidity, which made the firefighters have to rotate more often. One resident was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation and injuries, police said. Two firefighters were taken to the hospital for heat-related injuries.
KMSP-TV FOX 9 Minneapolis

Hennepin EMS seeks paramedic diversity to boost outcomes for minority patients


Infinity Beatty-Metcalfe's graduation from Hennepin Healthcare's paramedic trainee program on Friday may have been destiny, but it was a delayed one for the 31-year-old. She pushed herself after growing up in foster care to become an emergency medical technician (EMT) at 19. But Beatty-Metcalfe burned out from the intensity and frequency of ambulance runs in St. Louis. She had been inspired after witnessing the heroism of paramedics who brought a baby born prematurely to a hospital by helicopter. But paramedic training seemed impossible while working to pay bills and starting a family. "That's a lot of balls to balance," Beatty-Metcalfe said. Her struggle is exactly why Hennepin Healthcare's emergency medical services (EMS) division created its trainee program in 2020, paying EMTs to work part time while completing accelerated paramedic training.
Star Tribune - Metered Site


Friday, July 19, 2024

Millions in damage avoided in Coon Rapids thanks to forward thinking: ’This was a save’


VIDEO: For Todd Williams, it was perhaps a moment of vindication — or at least, confirmation, that city buildings are safe and secure. It started with an emergency alert to firefighters in the early morning of July 8. Crews were dispatched to a fire at Sand Creek Park. When they got there, the fire was already out. "This was a save," Williams said. "This saved the city probably over $1.5 million." The "save" came thanks to a trio of fire sprinklers installed along the park's main building. Fire crews later learned the fire started when a group threw away firework remains in a trash can next to a concession stand. The embers, still hot, smoldered for more than a half hour before eventually catching the liner of the trash on fire. From there, the size of the flames doubled nearly every minute.
WCCO-TV CBS 4 Minneapolis

Fire officials investigating fire in Maple Grove


Fire officials are investigating a house fire that occurred in Maple Grove Wednesday night. According to Maple Grove Fire and Rescue, the fire happened at a residence located in the 7200 block of Quantico Lane North. Two fire stations from Maple Grove responded to the scene, with the first calls for the fire being placed at 11:13 p.m. Wednesday night. Maple Grove Assistant Fire Chief Mike Kinnan noted significant flames extending upward from the house and requested an upgrade to the original alarm. This sent additional fire stations in Maple Grove to respond to the fire. The upgraded call also brought a crew from Golden Valley Fire to provide firefighter health and safety monitoring. All residents inside the house were accounted for and safely made it out. However, Maple Grove Fire and Rescue said the residents have been displaced due to extensive damage done to portions of the house.
KSTP-TV ABC 5 St. Paul







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe