An attempted theft turned into arson as buses used for student transport to and from sports burned up early Saturday morning. Wasilla Lake Christian School is moving quickly to secure transport for students, as their soccer teams will be needing travel as soon as July.
At 3:15 a.m., WPD got a call about a fire that had broken out in the parking lot of WLCS. The WPD was there by 3:22 a.m. along with the Fire Department, but could not prevent the fire from spreading. Security camera footage showed that one single male had siphoned gas from one bus, filling one container before returning with a second. An ignition happened, whether incidental or not, and the gas thief tried to extinguish it but had no luck stopping the fire from spreading to the leaked gasoline. The thief-turned-arsonist fled the scene prior to the arrival of the authorities.