King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Fire Station
Location: Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
Join an International Research University on the shores of the Red Sea.
Submit your Cover Letter and CV to Omaimah Y. Fayie, email@example.com
Deputy Fire Chief:
The Deputy Fire Chiefs lead the response to any given emergency situation which the Fire Services are asked to respond to during any period they are assigned to cover. Activities may include managing the response to significant fires, managing the response to hazardous chemical incidents and managing the Fire Services involvement in other rescue situations. Depending on the nature and size of the incident scene, the Deputy Fire Chiefs may be required to take overall command of the scene and lead the activities of the Fire, Medical and Security teams.
In addition to the emergency response responsibilities, the Deputy Fire Chief roles have responsibility for a range of contract management, training, engagement and operational tasks aimed at ensuring the Fire Department is always capable of providing a full response to any given emergency situation. They also support the engagement activities required to ensure staff are properly trained in how to deal with emergency situations and the actions they must take in the event of an emergency. In addition, they are required to deliver community engagement activity to both minimize the fire risk in the community and ensure community members are aware of fire emergency procedure.
• Lead the fire-fighting response to any confirmed fires at KAUST or any other emergency situations as directed by the Fire Chief or, in his absence, as required using own judgement.
• Take overall command of emergency situations at the scene when the situation has required a response by all three emergency services.
• Keep the Fire Chief and Director HSE appraised of any incidents or developing situations which has or could result in serious injury, significant loss or damage to property or significant interruption to normal university operations.
• Assist the Fire Chief with the management of the main contract to provide firefighting personnel by:
o Assessing the day to day compliance of the contract staff with the terms of the firefighting contract and monitoring key performance indicators.
o Assessing the day to day operation of the contract fire fighter staff, identifying gaps in skills and knowledge and undertaking or arranging training to address these gaps.
• Manage contracts for the provision and maintenance of fire-fighting and emergency equipment as assigned by the Fire Chief such that equipment is always fit for use and full emergency response capability is always available.
• Lead and assist with community engagement activities to reduce the likelihood of a fire in the community and ensure the correct response if one occurs.
• Liaise with other HSE teams as required to ensure the overall safety of facilities at KAUST.
• Relevant, progressive training and development as a Fire Officer in areas including the following:
o Major Emergency Management, Incident Command, Hazardous Materials, Fire Prevention, Fire Service Instructor, Community Fire Safety.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Degree in fire-fighting related subject or equivalent in-house professional qualifications from a recognized body.
• Minimum of 10 years experience as a fire-fighter in a large town or city with multiple risks.
• Minimum of 5 years as a senior officer with experience as the Incident Commander of large complex incidents. Direct experience of managing fires/incidents requiring a multi-agency response.
• Previous experience at managing incidents involving hazardous chemicals.
• Competent and experienced using Microsoft Office applications.
KAUST Fire Department (KFD):
Who are we?
The KAUST Fire Department provides a fire and rescue service to the KAUST Community on a 24 hour basis.
The Fire Department has the following operational staff:
1 Fire Chief, 2 Deputy Fire Chiefs, 6 Captains, 16 Lieutenants, 28 Driver Operators, and 32 Fire Fighters.
What do we do?
• Respond to emergencies in the KAUST community
• Constantly train and plan for operational readiness
• Engage with the community
• Develop KAUST's Volunteer Fire Fighters
Established in 2009, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) is a graduate-level research university located on the shores of the Red Sea, North of Jeddah.
With a mission to be a catalyst for innovation, economic development and social prosperity in both Saudi Arabia and around the world, KAUST is dedicated to advancing science and
technology through interdisciplinary research, education and innovation.
Ranked # 1 in the World for Citations per Faculty in the QS World University Rankings, KAUST provides a learning environment integrated with research, and attracts top international faculty and students from across the globe all focused on finding solutions to problems in areas related to water, food, energy, and the environment. KAUST offers postgraduate degrees in 16 programs (M.S. and Ph.D.) Admission to KAUST is merit based and the language of instruction is English. KAUST welcomes an international community of more than 7,000 residents from over 100 countries. https://www.kaust.edu.sa/en/about