VIDEO: Four firefighters suffered burns Tuesday while trying to rescue someone they thought was inside a burning home in the New Town neighborhood of Northwest Jacksonville.
The Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department was called just after 1 p.m. and saw flames and heavy smoke coming from the house on Acorn Street near West 2nd Street. Neighbors said someone was trapped inside, so four firefighters forced their way inside and encountered high heat and flames.
JFRD Chief Keith Powers said the firefighters sustained first- and second-degree burns, but they were in good condition and should be treated and released from UF Health Jacksonville within hours. Powers credited the high-quality bunker gear the city issues with preventing more serious injuries to the firefighters.
“It’s the best gear in the business, and if it wasn’t for that gear, these burns would have been a lot more significant,” Powers said.
WJXT-TV News 4 Jacksonville
The city held a socially-distanced ceremony showcasing Carrollton’s newly renovated Harold K. Bessire Park Playground (1117 Dentonshire Drive) on Nov. 21.
The City Council approved funding in February for renovations, including a synthetic turf surface as well as new playground equipment with a firefighter theme, honoring Carrollton’s first responders and the namesake of the park, former Carrollton Fire Chief and Fire Marshal Harold K. Bessire.
“Chief Bessire was in command during a time of growth for the city,” Carrollton Fire Chief Gregg Salmi said. “The department went from one station to six under his leadership, and the City became the first suburb to train and staff paramedics on ambulances offering advanced levels of patient care. His command presence and professionalism elicited feelings of confidence, support, and great respect from those who served under him. I am proud to have served with him.”
On May 16, 2020, eleven firefighters were seriously injured during one of the most intense and dangerous fires in the history of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
One of those firefighters was Fire Capt. Víctor Aguirre, who suffered serious burns. He spoke with our sister station Telemundo 52 about his miraculous recovery and the voracious fire that almost took his life away.
Aguirre recalls giving the order to leave the roof and calling out "Mayday," the emergency signal, during the May 16 fire in downtown LA. "I will never forget that day, I have it engraved in my mind and in my body," said Capt. Aguirre.
When Aguirre and his team tried to enter the building through the roof to attack the fire, he said he had a strange feeling.
“In my heart, in my mind, I felt uneasy,” said the Los Angeles Fire Department captain.
Minutes later when the fire was too intense to bear, Aguirre gave the order to retreat, and I heard multiple explosions and the roar of the fire.
KNBC-TV NBC 4 Los Angeles
At a fire house in King City Tuesday, crews gave KGW an up-close look at one of their newest tools, the Lucas Mechanical CPR Device.
"It's highly efficient," said Capt. Tim Nokes of Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue (TVF&R). "It's highly effective."
Capt. Nokes says the device is one of three in service in the TVF&R district. He says it could not have come at a more ideal time. "I've been doing this job for over 20 years," he said. "I feel a sense of stress this past nine or 10 months more than I've ever felt in my career."
COVID-19 is the reason why. First responders could contract the coronavirus from any patient, but especially those in cardiac arrest.
"Chest compressions are a huge generator of that aerosolizing product so when you're doing chest compressions physically on someone's chest they are obviously exhaling," said Capt. Nokes. "There's a high potential for us coming in contact with aerosolized particles of COVID-19."
KGW-TV NBC 8 Portland
VIDEO: Charleston first responders are joining forces to ‘wave goodnight’ to the children and healthcare heroes at Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital.
Police, fire and EMS park their vehicles outside the children’s hospital, and when the clock strikes 7:30 p.m., they turn their lights on for five minutes, so that the patients inside can see them shine and know their community is here to say goodnight.
It’s a simple gesture, but with a big impact.
With these children facing their own battles every single day, the hospital can be a scary place to live; especially during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
“We wanna brighten their night, put a smile on their faces before they go to bed. All the Lowcountry’s first responders; fire, EMS, police, it’s a collaborative effort,” said Sgt. Sean Engles with the Charleston Police Department.
Engles says the light display is only visual so they make as little noise as possible at bedtime.
WCBD-TV NBC/CW+ 2 Charleston